WordPress is the world’s leading blogging software. It has become very popular because it’s free and simple to use.
If you want to start a blog or create a website, then WordPress is the way to go. A great way to utilize WordPress is to come up with a theme that best represents your blog or website.
Once you have done this, you’ll need to install it and put it to good use! WordPress offers a wide range of themes.
You can find many popular themes, as well as a theme that will be totally perfect for your brand.
This can seem a little complex, but there’s no need to worry! In this article, we will discuss how to install a WordPress theme, how to remove an unused theme, plus more!
The Different Types Of WordPress Themes
There are thousands of themes available for WordPress. Some are free, some require payment, such as the premium themes that cost anywhere between $20-$100.
Themes come in two main types: free and paid. Let’s take a closer look at these two types of themes!
What Are Free Themes On WordPress?
Free themes can usually be found in the WordPress themes directory. are usually basic and don’t include much functionality. They may have limited options and only one color scheme.
You can download them from the official WordPress theme directory. You will need to register on the site to access the free themes. Once you do this, you will be able to browse through all the free themes.
You can also search by category, keyword, tag, etc. There are many different categories of free themes. Check out our exemplar list of themes here:
- Basic – These themes are perfect if you’re looking for something simple.
- Business – This type of theme is great for businesses.
- Magazine – Magazines are always going to need a magazine-style, easily readable theme.
Multipurpose – A multipurpose theme is good for blogs, websites, eCommerce stores, portfolios, and more.
What Are Paid Themes On WordPress?
Paid themes offer more features and customization options. They often come with multiple templates, colors, layouts, fonts, and more. Many paid themes allow you to choose your own background image, logo, and other design elements.
Some paid themes even give you the option to change the layout of the site. For example, you could make the sidebar appear on the left side of the page instead of the right side.
When choosing a paid theme, you should consider what kind of content you plan to put on your site. Do you want to focus on the text, images, videos, or audio? Will you be using plugins or widgets? What about SEO? All of these things affect how you set up your site.
If you’re not sure which type of theme would work best for you, you can try both types. Then, once you find a theme that works well for you, stick with it.
How To Install A Free WordPress Theme
Installing a WordPress theme is easy. Once you have chosen your theme, follow these steps to get started:
- Open WordPress and go to the admin area.
- Next, you should head over to the “Appearance” section and click a button called “Add New.”
- Here, there will be many options, so it is best to filter the themes to find the specific one you want.
- Activate your chosen theme. You can do this by clicking the Install theme button next to your new theme in the dashboard.
- From here, you can click an “Activate” button, and you will have succeeded in uploading your WordPress theme.
- Set up your theme settings. You can do this by opening your theme folder on your computer. Find the file called “options” and open it. In there, you’ll see a bunch of settings.
- Customize your theme. You do this by changing the settings inside the options file.
- Test your theme. Go to your site and check everything out. Make any changes you think are necessary.
- Save your changes. When you’re done testing, save your settings. Now they won’t go back to their default values when you close your browser.
- Update your theme. If you’ve made any changes to your theme, update it now. It’s important to keep your theme updated so it keeps working properly.
- Check your theme. Every time you install a new plugin or update an existing one, you should check your theme to make sure it still functions correctly.
- Remove unused themes. Sometimes, you might decide you no longer need a particular theme. You can remove it from your website by deleting its folder in your theme directory.
- Backup your site. Backing up your site will help protect yourself against problems like losing all of your data.
How To Install A Paid WordPress Theme
To install a paid theme, you first need to purchase it. There are two ways to buy a paid theme. The first way is through a third-party store such as Theme Forest. This method allows you to download a zip file containing the theme files.
The second way is via the WordPress.org marketplace. With this method, you don’t have to worry about downloading anything. Instead, you simply pay for the theme directly through your WordPress dashboard.
Once you have purchased your theme, you can start installing it. Follow these steps:
- Download the theme zip file.
- Upload the downloaded zip file into your WordPress dashboard.
- Click the Install button.
- Choose where you want to upload the files.
- Activate your theme. You can do so by clicking the button next to your new template in the dashboard.
- Edit your theme so it best suits your WordPress.
- Save changes. When you have finished editing, save your settings. Your changes won’t go back to default values if you close your browser.
- Test your theme. After saving your settings, test your theme. Go to the Appearance page and check that everything is in working order.
How To Delete Unused WordPress Themes
Occasionally, you may decide you no longer need some of your themes. You can delete them by removing their folders from your theme directory.
- Open your theme folder.
- Look for a folder called “themes”. Inside, you’ll find folders named after each of your themes.
- Locate the folder for the theme you want to delete.
- Delete the folder.
And voila! Your unused theme has now been deleted.
There is a simple installation process when it comes to WordPress themes, especially when you follow our basic guide! Whether you want to install free or premium themes, or you want to remove any unused themes, we hope our step-by-step guide makes this a simple and fun process.